If you’re anything like me, you don’t want to spend an hour in the kitchen after a long day of work. But at the same time, a hearty and delicious meal is a must! This recipe ticks both boxes with the added bonus of using up some leftover pantry staples…and who doesn’t love that?
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 cans of flaked tuna in water
- 1 box of Stove Top stuffing
- 1 onion, diced small (red or yellow, whichever you prefer)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I used cheddar, but any will do)
- 2 tbsps of mayonnaise
- A splash of lemon juice (fresh or bottled – no judgment here!)
- Salt & pepper to taste (I like to use lemon pepper, in a grinder dispenser and available in the spice section of the grocery store)
Here come the easy part! Throw all of it (including the water in the tuna cans) into a bowl and hand mix until blended and sticking together. Grab one handful at a time, form into 1-inch thick patties, and place on wax paper. This amount usually yields 8-10 patties for me. For ease of cooking, let them sit in the fridge to firm up for about 10 minutes (just enough time for a pre-dinner cocktail!).
Use your favourite cooking oil (I use olive) to fry the patties over medium heat in a pan. Give yourself plenty of room, too! I usually cook 5 at a time. Flip them every few minutes as the cheese melts and will stick if you’re not careful. I also find using a metal spatula works better for keeping the patties intact.
While the patties crisp up, feel free to steam some veggies or toss a salad as a side dish. These Tuna Cakes are pretty hearty on their own, so a nice, light side is all you need.
And voila! Dinner in about 30 minutes and no more leftovers in the pantry. Happy meal making!