Out of all my easy-to-make recipes, this one has to be my favourite. It’s a hearty and delicious soup that tastes like you spent all day slaving over a hot stove to make it, but it really only takes about an hour, tops (maybe less if you’re better at chopping veggies than I am!). Special thanks to my mom, who gave me this recipe years ago. It makes me look like a culinary genius and I’m grateful :).
Suffice to say, it’s easier to make this if you have some leftover ham from a previous meal. I’ve used both toupie style and non-toupie style hams and really have no preference. If you’re short on time or leftovers, you can absolutely buy a pre-cooked toupie style (or even canned ham) to use here (no judgement!). Trust me, you’re still going to look like a cooking superstar no matter if you cook your own ham or not.
- 1+1/2 lbs Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 rib of celery, diced
- 1-2 cups of ham, diced
- 3 tbsps butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups broth (veggie or chicken)
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup cream or milk (the thicker, the better – but you decide based on what you prefer)
- Salt & pepper to taste ( I like about 1/2 tsp of pepper and minimal salt)
- Melt butter / margarine in a stock pot over medium heat.
- Stir in carrot, celery, onion, garlic, salt & pepper. Cook about 5 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Add ham and mix.
- Stir in flour to coat all ingredients.
- Stir in broth and water.
- Heat on high until boiling, making sure to scrape the bottom of the pot for any yummy goodness that stuck there.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes and continue to simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Mash lightly with a masher to break down the potatoes, leaving some chunks. Don’t over mash – just enough to make it creamy.
- Add in cream or milk and stir well.
- Let simmer for another 5 minutes, just to heat the milk and thicken the soup.
- Serve with biscuits (I use bisquick mix and it takes 10 minutes. And people think I’m chef).
- Revel in the adoration of your family and guests.
I hope you enjoy this one as much as my guests do!